The G24 was an authorized and designed car by the USRA and provided to the PRR starting in April 1919. Eventually a total of 750 cars were provided to the PRR. As-built these composite sided cars had drop bottoms. In October 1929 the PRR started converting the cars from composite to all steel construction and removal of the drop bottom doors. Only one car remained in 1964 and none survived to 1968.
This sheet has enough data to do 2 cars. There are seven different reweigh/repack dates cover locations system wide and multiple re-weigh dates ranging from the mid-1930’s through to the late 1950’s.
The G24 Gondola has been produced in plastic by Red Caboose, now Intermountain.
For painting instructions any of these gondolas in the Circle Keystone Monogram scheme (pre-1954), the entire car including underbody and trucks is to be painted in Freight Car Color.
For references in regard to the PRR's Gondola
fleet please consult Pennsylvania Railroad Gondolas, Revenue & Work Equipment, 1869 to 1968 by Al Buchan and Elden Gatwood, and The Keystone, Vol 8 No. 2 both published by the PRRT&HS. and Volumes 1-3 of the PRR Color Guide.
Sample proof is shown in black for clarity. Actual lettering is white.