This set was produced to introduce an more comprehensive set for these classes.
In 1956 the PRR found itself in need of 70 ton hoppers. So, the PRR leased 2,000 H2a’s from the N&W, of which the PRR had a near controlling stock interest. The cars retained their N&W H2a class designation and were built new by the N&W in 1956. The H2a’s started arriving on the PRR in April 1957 and all 2,000 were received by September 1957. Starting in January 1966 the cars started to be returned to the N&W, with 1,000 initially, just over 100 were left by October 1966, and
they were completely gone from the PRR roster by the summer of 1967. Although an updated lettering diagram was issued for the cars, to date, no photographic evidence has supported seeing cars in this updated scheme.
The PRR’s H2a class was in a single number blocks: 10000-11999.
This sheet has enough data to do 2 cars, with two complete numbers being given and then prefixes for the series with a number jumble pre-spaced for the side panels. There are six different reweigh locations system wide and multiple re-weigh dates ranging from the beginning of the lease period, with New dates of 1956 as well as re-weigh dates through 1966.
The H2a has been done in plastic by three different manufacturers. In RTR it has been done by BLI, and as a kit by Eastern Car Works and MDC/Roundhouse.
For painting instructions any of these hopper cars in this scheme the entire car is to be painted black.
For references in regard to the PRR's H2A Class Open Hopper Car fleet please consult Pennsylvania Railroad Steel Open Hopper Cars, by John Teichmoeller and Volumes 1-3 of the PRR Color Guide.