This set was produced to introduce an more comprehensive set for these classes.
The GLa class started being built for the PRR in 1904. Through 1911 a total of 30,256 cars were built for or acquired by the PRR. These cars lasted through 1955 in the Circle Keystone scheme with over 25,000 in the fleet. By 1959 the numbers dropped off, until there were only 231 left in 1970, and these were in MOW service. In 1936 the PRR modernized 250 GLa cars, which then become GLg class cars. The major external differences included power hand brakes, and new straight side stakes. GLg class exclusively used series 251000-251249 until 1951, when GLa’s also began using this series.
This set contains enough data to do 6 cars in the Shadow Keystone Scheme. There are eleven different reweigh locations P50 (Enola), P57 (Altoona), P62 (Holidaysburg), P125 (Weigh Scales, PA), P165 (Girard Point, Philly), P203 (Pitcairn), P205 (Pitcairn), P251 (Scully), P440 (Ft. Wayne), P628 (Columbus, OH), and P752 (Indianapolis, IN) covering the entire PRR System and eight different reweigh dates ranging from the mid 1950’s through to the early 1960’s.
The GLa Class has been produced in resin by Westerfield and in plastic by Bowser.
For references in regard to the PRR's GLa Class Open Hopper Car fleet please consult Pennsylvania Railroad Steel Open Hopper Cars, by John Teichmoeller and Volumes 1-3 of the PRR Color Guide.