Cart 0
HO PRR & TTX F39 Flatcar Decals

HO PRR & TTX F39 Flatcar Decals


This set was produced to introduce a more comprehensive set for these classes, which hadn't been done by previous manufacturers.

During the early 1950’s, truck trailer on flatcar or TOFC service began being developed as an easier logistical method of moving freight in less time from origin to destination. The PRR had started doing this by using their F30 flatcars, however they could only carry one trailer, so a more efficient design was created. In 1955 Bethlehem Steel built 200 F39 class flatcars. These were 75 feet long and could carry two trailers. TOFC service proved to be very successful. In total, the PRR owned 500 F39 type flatcars for TOFC service. Additionally, in 1957 the PRR built 300 F39c flatcars at their Sam Rea shops for the Trailer Train Company.

In 1956 the Trailer Train Company was formed, to allow for easier interchange of TOFC flatcars between railroads. To begin its operation, all 500 of the PRR’s F39 fleet was transferred to the company, with the Pennsylvania being replaced with TTX on the sides of the cars. These cars lasted in this service until longer trailers were built, requiring longer flatcars to haul them.

This sheet contains enough data for lettering 3 cars with either PRR or TTX reporting marks. There is 1 each of the F39 family of cars, F39, F39a, F39b, and F39c. The Pennsy TrucTrain slogan was applied to a display sign on the F39s and was used for display and promotional purposes only before being removed and placed in regular revenue service.

The F39 class flatcar has been imported in brass by Overland and also produced in plastic by Walthers.

For references in regard to the PRR's F39 Class Flatcar fleet please consult the Pennsylvania Railroad Technical & Historical Society's publication, Pennsylvania Railroad Flat Cars, Revenue & Work Equipment, 1881-1968, by Al Buchan and Elden Gatwood and Volumes 1-3 of the PRR Color Guide.

Share this Product

More from this collection